[ You live like you think ]

You live like you think
someone's always watching, and who knows -
maybe they are.
Or, maybe,
you're just a little bit paranoid, maybe
you've got a guilty conscience.
Well. Definitely that.

Midnight, mid-June,
and I was driving with the windows down.
I couldn't hear you with the music up loud
when I pulled into the drive.
We were kids then,
Converse and bare feet and you
choking out words like the noise of all our thoughts
made it hard to breathe, and you,
listening to that same sad song
over and over again.

I'll remember it that way;
I choose to. But now it's tomorrow again
and we can't take back all the things we'll do today.
So make it last or at least make it count - 
every second, everything you do
has to mean more than the knowledge that it ends
and all the ways it can.

So we stay desperate, the time
slipping away with every song on the radio,
and we think we're so damn original.
Now it's always almost over
and it never really stops.
But I'm learning something new these days;
that you can't fix the mistakes you've made
by constantly fighting to make them worse
or by only living to see how bad it gets.
There are minutes when it's worth it,
and maybe - finally - I'm trying to figure out
how having something better doesn't have to mean betrayal.
It didn't used to be that way.
I'll remember that. I have to.
And I know it's just a phase,
just like everything else.
And I know I should be sorry,
but maybe - finally - I'm not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[ Put a man in a courtroom ]

[ I wish I could juxtapose it in a way that makes sense ]