[ You were the second thing ]

There's something wrong
with the minutes in my head -
I pack too many words in them.
It's just a syllable, not a competition -
but it's the only time I'm allowed to decide when this ends.

You were the second thing I ever felt.
I called you for security and not much else.
And this won't leave me
playing sadder songs for months;
I always say too much.

So there's a stack of letters on the dresser;
please send them out if I didn't get to it in time.
You can have all of my books
if you burn the journals in the drawer.
I know I'm leaving too much undone in both our lives.

And yeah, they took the guns;
one in January, one last week.
But the most important thing I learned from you
is what my epitaph should read:
You know, the impossible - it never stopped me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[ You live like you think ]

[ Put a man in a courtroom ]

[ I wish I could juxtapose it in a way that makes sense ]